Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Book Review #4 "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks

I listened to this book on CD in the car on way here and there. (I tried to make this opening line sort of an homage to Dr. Suess, but I was unable to form my sentence rhymingly.)

There were times when I drove the "long" way home or lingered in my car longer just to continue to listen to this book.

Nicholas Sparks is a capativating author. His books are usually considered an "easy" read, but I am always learning new vocabulary when I pick up one of his books.

Sparks seemlessly tells a story through multiple points of view without losing any of the information essential to the story. Each chapter is told from the perspective of a different character and gives the reader insight to the character while not breaking the continuity of the story.

I also enjoyed that the story itself is not neatly resolved by the end of the last chapter. There are people that die and characters who get away with evil things without being caught. There are twists and turns in the telling of the story that I could not predict from chapters away. One thing that does bother me is that the ending leaves the reader looking for a sequel in order to have closure with all of the main characters. Nicholas Sparks doesn't usually indulge his readers in a series of books with the same characters. He has done it in the past with a couple of books - "The Notebook" and "The Wedding" and with another series of books that I cannot recall at this moment. I am looking forward to the possibility of a continuation of the story I was heavily involved with throughout the book.

I cannot say with certainty whether or not Blake would enjoy this book - she generally dislikes most of Nicholas Sparks' writings. The book does have its "touchy feely" sweet moments, but the book is not full of them. So she may or may not throw up in her mouth on occasion if she decided to read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment