Friday, January 1, 2010

Book Review #7 "The Christmas List: A Novel" by Richard Paul Evans

First of all, why do some books insist on using a colon and the words "A Novel" in the title? Aren't the readers aware that they are in fact reading a novel? I don't get it.

Anyway, I am a total sucker for any books by Richard Paul Evans. I liken his style of novel writing to that of Nicholas Sparks. Which means that Blake will steer so far away from these books that it isn't even funny. One distinct difference is that Richard Paul Evans seems to incorporate much more of a spiritual element to his works, whereas Nicholas Sparks goes for the society norm of not as much religiousity (is that even a word?).

Every now and then I like to read about heartwarming stories. Stories that usually wrap up neatly and cleanly by the end of the book. Generally Richard Paul Evans does follow that particular MO - the main characters always have an epiphany and turn their lives around before things go too far or it becomes too late. I hate to burst your bubble here, but one of the main characters does in fact die. Shocker, I know.

Good book. Mostly good-feeling. Made my drives to work more pleasant.

next up: "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment